NYC Cantor Surrenders on Child Molestation Charges
Originally published by The Associated Press, March 8, 2002
NARBERTH, Pa. — A longtime cantor at one of the nation's largest Reform synagogues has surrendered to suburban Philadelphia authorities to face charges of child sexual abuse.
Howard Nevison, 61, of Congregation Emanu-El in Manhattan, was arrested last month in New York. Police in Lower Merion, a suburb of Philadelphia, charged Nevison with sexually assaulting his nephew on three occasions between 1993 and 1997 while the boy was 3 to 7 years old.
Police have known about the allegations since about 1998, but did not pursue charges until the victim, who was undergoing therapy, was ready to confront the uncle, Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce Castor said.
Lawrence Nevison, 55, who is Howard Nevison's brother and an uncle of the victim, and Lawrence Nevison's son, Stewart, 30, who lived with the victim's family for a time, have previously been convicted of molesting the boy in unrelated incidents.
The boy testified against Lawrence Nevison at trial, but until October was afraid to confront his other uncle, authorities said.
Nevison faces two counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and single counts of indecent assault, simple assault and terroristic threats. If convicted on all counts, he could face 27 1/2 to 55 years in prison.
Nevison allegedly molested the boy, now 12, during visits to the family's home.
Nevison has been the cantor at the temple since 1978. A cantor leads a congregation in song, while the rabbi is the spiritual leader.
In April 1994, he became the first cantor to sing at the Vatican.