Former Priest Sentenced For Molestation
Case rocks Catholic Archdiocese of Boston
Originally published by The Associated Press, February 21, 2002
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — A former priest who has become a central figure in a sexual abuse scandal that has shaken Boston's Roman Catholic community was handed the maximum sentence of nine to 10 years Thursday for fondling a 10-year-old boy in 1991.
Judge Sandra Hamlin said John Geogan "hid behind his collar" and his position in the church to prey on young boys.
Hamlin detailed Geoghan's admissions in molesting other children and psychological evaluations citing his lack of concern for his victims and his tendency to blame them for his acts.
Geoghan, 66, was convicted of indecent assault and battery last month in the first of three criminal cases against him. He could be eligible for parole in six years, and the judge ordered strict monitoring after any later release.
Since 1995, more than 130 people have claimed Geoghan fondled or raped them during the three decades he served in Boston-area parishes. He also is named in more than 80 civil suits.
The allegations have led to major changes in how the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston deals with allegations of abuse.
Last month, Cardinal Bernard Law ordered that church officials report all accusations of sexual abuse against minors, past and present. Law has since given prosecutors the names of more than 80 active and former priests accused of abuse during the last four decades. Nine active priests have been suspended.
SECOND CRIMINAL CASE
On Wednesday, a hearing was held in a second criminal case against Geoghan.
Geoghan's attorneys argued that the molestation charges should be dismissed because the alleged victim made the accusation in 1986. At the time, the statute of limitations was 10 years.
Prosecutor David Deakin countered that the charges are based on specific allegations that were made in 1989, well within the current 15-year limit, which he said should apply.
The hearing is scheduled to continue Friday. Geoghan's trial in the case had been set to begin Wednesday but was delayed after the defense motion was filed last week.
The alleged victim testified Wednesday that he told his mother details of the alleged abuse at age 11, in 1986.
"I recall telling her everything," he said. "About the sex abuse, fondling and oral sex."
The specific allegation of oral sex, the act on which the rape charges are based, wasn't made until 1989, the prosecutor said.
Separately, the Archdiocese of Boston said Wednesday it was suspending a pastor in Abington following allegations of sexual misconduct with a minor.
Also, a former chancellor for the Catholic Diocese of Worcester was removed from his pastorship because of an allegation from 1967. The Rev. John J. Bagley, a former official at the Vatican, was placed on administrative leave Wednesday by Bishop Daniel P. Reilly, according to diocesan spokesman Raymond L. Delisle.