Dix Hills Man Held For Sexual Abuse
By Robert Leuner
Originally published in Suffolk Life, October 3, 2001
Members of the Suffolk County Police Computer Crimes Division arrested a 35-year-old male at his residence in Dix Hills on Wednesday evening, September 26. The suspect, a truck driver for a local bottling company, was charged with first degree sodomy in conjunction with the alleged sexual abuse of his four-year-old daughter. The suspect's name is being withheld to protect the identity of the victim.
The Suffolk County District Attorney's Office said the victim's complaint indicated the child had been abused by the man since she was three months old. Abuse included oral sodomy, photography and video taping of the victim and defendant engaged in sexual activity.
"This is the most terrifying crime involving infant children we have ever seen," commented Suffolk County District Attorney James M. Catterson, Jr. "He was literally training the girl. In a few years he thought he could have intercourse with her."
Catterson said Computer Crimes Division Officers discovered the alleged crime while monitoring a chat room last August. Over the course of the next month, police continued to have chat sessions with the suspect before enough evidence warranted an arrest. The District Attorney stated the suspect admitted he was the owner of the computer at his residence and that it held stored pornographic images.
"While complete details of the investigative techniques are being withheld pending completion of the investigation, I can say the man utilized a common Internet chat program in chats with others in which he admitted his abuse of an infant child," Catterson stated.
The suspect was arraigned at the First District Court in Central Islip on Thursday, September 27. The sodomy charge is considered a class B felony, punishable by up to 25 years imprisonment. The suspect is being held on $100,000 bail. Catterson said further charges may be pending following a Grand Jury decision.
Catterson further indicated no quarter would be given in convicting the suspect. "There will be no plea bargain or charge bargain here," Catterson vowed.
The child was taken into custody at the Child Protective Services. Catterson said the mother, who also lived at the residence, was being investigated, but as of yet no charges have been filed.
The suspect's next court appearance is scheduled for Wednesday, October 3.