PRINTABLE PAGE

Former Federal Prison Guard Admits Sexually Abusing Inmate

Originally published by The Associated Press, October 17, 2002

NEW YORK (AP) — A former federal prison guard pleaded guilty Thursday to sexually abusing a woman who was jailed last year in Brooklyn on drug charges.

Randy Denjen also admitted lying to the FBI about the incident at the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn, where he was a supervisor.

Denjen, 39, faces up to 10 years behind bars at sentencing Feb. 5. But prosecutors said they will argue for a stiffer prison term because he used force against the victim—an allegation he still denies.

At a hearing in Brooklyn federal court, Denjen also denied striking fear into the woman before having sex with her. He reversed himself after U.S. District Court Judge Nina Gershon warned that, without the admission, she would reject his plea and go forward with a trial.

Customs agents caught the victim, a 23-year-old Briton, at Kennedy International Airport carrying a false-bottom suitcase stuffed with pills, and she later admitted in a guilty plea that the pills were Ecstasy.

The woman reported that on Nov. 25, 2001, Denjen awoke her in her cell and made sexual advances. She said she resisted but he began kissing her and then raped her.

Denjen told the FBI he had only talked about sex with the woman. But DNA evidence linked him to the crime.

After Denjen was indicted in January, the woman was released on bail. A judge postponed her sentencing indefinitely and allowed her to return to London.

Prosecutors said they planned to call the victim as a witness at sentencing.